Two enormous Tulip Poplar trees flanked Monticello’s lawn portico for a full 200 years. Planted by Thomas Jefferson in 1807, the southwest tree succumbed to old age in 2008 and was removed. The northwest sister tree was removed in 2011 when it showed signs of illness and leaned dangerously toward the house. Virginia woodworker Kirk McCauley is one of several local artisans The Thomas Jefferson Foundation has entrusted to honor the beauty and historic significance of these majestic trees. He pursues his passion for hand turned wood artwork in North Garden Virginia, and is a member of the Central Virginia Woodturners and American Association of Woodturners.
Wood from these venerable trees has been used to create this wonderful butterfly house. Six openings for butterflies measure 3 ½"h x ½"w. The copper roof is embellished with copper nails. Each house is signed, dated and numbered. 22"h x 5"w x 5 ¾"d.