Reproduction Creamware Basket
Creamware was often referred to as “queensware” and was refined white earthenware, opaque, glazed with a noticeable yellow cast. Developed in the mid 18th century, creamware was further refined and improved by Josiah Wedgwood, whose marketing sense did much to establish creamware as the epitome of fashion.
Monticello Archaeologists discovered the fragments of this Creamware basket during an excavation of the Dry Well in 1981. The Dry Well was a deep storage pit located in the yard between the South Pavilion and Mulberry Row. Jefferson used the pit for cold storage for about a decade before filling in the deep hole with domestic trash (ceramics, glass, bone, etc.) and sediment sometime in the mid-1780s.
The basket form was a popular accessory; with its imitative textures it is a good example of the decorative pieces which appealed to the public’s sense of novelty. Similar styles were produced by various English potteries after 1760. Openwork bowls such as this reproduction were used for fruits and possibly small desserts.